5 things to have in your car in case of an emergency
Whether you’re starting your morning commute or are tackling a weekend road trip, it’s always important to be prepared in the event something goes wrong. Does your vehicle have supplies that can help you in the event of an emergency? Here are 5 things to have in your car just in case.
What supplies should I have in my car in case of an emergency?
- Jumper cables – This is a must-have, even if you have roadside assistance. In the event your vehicle needs a jump or a family member or friend needs a start, then you have the cables to help. Jumper cables are very easy to use, and can you save time in the long run the event your car’s battery needs a start.
- Spare tire – How is your vehicle’s spare tire doing? Is it in good shape or could it use some air? It’s always good to check the spare tire periodically. You can do a visual inspection and can have your mechanic look it over during your vehicle’s next visit to the shop if you have any questions.
- First aid kit – Having one of these in the vehicle is essential. Even just a simple kit with bandages, nail clippers, tweezers, antibiotic ointment and gauze is a good place to start. We recommend keeping it in the glove box of your vehicle for easy access.
- Tool kit – A small kit with wrenches, pliers, a pocket knife/multi-tool, zip ties and duct tape provides a well-rounded set that can help you tackle any issues that come up with confidence. While you might not be able to fix a bumper that is dragging off your vehicle after an accident, you can zip-tie or tape it up so you can drive it home. These are just some of the many things you can do with a simple kit like this in your car.
- Flashlight – There may be temptation to use your smartphone as a flashlight, but we encourage you to resist that. A dedicated flashlight is a must-have.
- Bonus – A paper map – This is another must-have. GPS devices fail and run out of battery. Signals get lost. When you’ve lost your way home, it’s important to have something you can rely on. A paper map is just that.
What must-haves do you keep in your vehicle? Let us know in the comments below. From all of us at Carl Black Kennesaw, thank you for reading!